Sunday, October 25, 2009

Rounding Up

As the end of EDPROFST 714 approaches I thought I'd reflect on some of the learning I've gained from the study.
  1. This is the first fully online course I have done and I have to say I have missed the human contact. It's notable that some of the most enjoyable aspects of the course have been the professional dialogues, either through the Moodle forums or through this and other blogs. When I compare this rich dialogue to that which I've experienced on face-to-face courses the sad truth is that it has been limited by the asynchronous nature of this technology. I am hopeful that as synchronous online communication becomes more easily and universally accessible this may change. However, call me a digital immigrant if you like, but there's nothing like the whole human package - body language, gesture, intonation as well as words, make so much difference in our ways of relating. Perhaps blended learning is the answer.
  2. Getting a sense of the historical evolution of elearning has been very valuable. It's often thought of as a very new thing, and to some extent, the explosion in web 2.0 and broadband access has revolutionised the possibilities of elearning. However, there is a rich history of successful and failed policy and practice from which we can learn and use to avoid making the same mistakes again (although with the current focus on national standards and the "3 R's" I do wonder about educationalists ever learning from past mistakes... but that another blog and a rather political one at that!). So the history aspect of this course was very helpful.
  3. As a result of studying wider policy and strategy around elearning I have been able to think more widely about elearning implications for my school. Where I was bogged down with my own practice, the software I was using in class and my desire to "teach" others how to use it, I am now thinking much more strategically about how to create the conditions for teachers to initiate and take control of their own change.
  4. It has been very valuable to make connections with professionals across the elearning communities of this country for two reasons: firstly these personal connections can and will be built upon to facilitate more professional discussion. Secondly, it has opened my eyes to the wealth of interest and experience in elearning and helped me to feel more positive that the changes which technology will force education to make will be well steered and accommodated by those pioneers who first bring them to pass.
This blog has been a very useful vehicle for shaping my thoughts and feelings around the various aspects of elearning encountered. I hope it has also been of use to others as they grapple with the ever changing landscape in which we live.

No comments:

Post a Comment